Details for Adult Leaders ATTENDING April 5 Festival
Published on Mar 07 2014
Here are the things to do before your attend with your group on April 5.
1. Please include a Label Flag that includes the name of your school, location (city, state), and grades of students.
2. It’s easier to manage the flags if the lines are not longer than about 50 flags. Make multiple lines if needed.
3. Allow extra length at the beginning and end of each line to tie onto the next one.
4. To pack them, accordion fold them. Put folded in flags in old file folders and rubber band them if possible.
5. Put flags into a bag or container with your school’s name clearly printed on it. Each container should be labeled.
6. Bring your Dream Flags with you on April 5th. They will be exhibited at The Constitution Center during the Celebration, then they will come down. Leave them with us if you want them in our exhibitions for Travel Flags
PARENTS & TRIP
7. Make sure parents know the event is free and open to the public.
8. Make sure parents of any students attending provide chaperoning of their children unless you are only brining a few and will chaperone them yourself. We are ALL guests of the National Constitution Center.
9. Refer parents to our News & Events page for details. www.dreamflags.org /news-‐events. Look for the article: “Attending April 5 Celebration.”
10. Let parents and students know that tee shirts will be for sale for $12 and new laser cut bracelet bands for $2. All other activities between 10:00-‐1:30 are free—button making, art activity, open mike, etc. 8 activities in all.
11. Plan your trip. Directions are at constitutioncenter.org/visit/directions. To park in the NCC garage, go to 5th and Race and enter off Race Street. Allow at least 10-‐15 minutes for parking.
12. For our more formal program from the Celebration Stage—from 11:30-12:30—each school attending is invited
to have THREE representative poets read from the Celebration Stage.
a. If you will have readers, make sure they practice reading . They will hold a mike and their poem.
b. Make sure readers have print copies of their poems that day. They will not have the Flags on stage to
read. (Good idea to bring a backup copy of the poems.)
13. ALL other students attending will be invited to read their Dream Flag Poems at the Open Mike from 10:00-11:30.
a. Make sure Open Mike readers bring a copy of their poem.
b. Directions will be in the teacher packet you receive when you attend.
Day of Event
1. By 10:00 AM: Arrive at the National Constitution Center with your Dream Flags. Receive a bracelet for entry.
2. Go to Registration Desk at top of stars. Teacher bringing Dream Flags receives the group’s Registration Packet.
3. Give numbered Reader Buttons in packet to your readers.
4. Help assigned Event Staff to exhibit Dream Flags where directed.
5. Enjoy activities between 10:00 and 11:30; attend program from 11:30-12:30.
6. After program, help take down and repack Flags into your labeled bags. If they are going to our Travel Flag exhibitions, leave at Registration Table. Otherwise, take them home.
Parents and Students
7. Arrive at the National Constitution Center between 10:00 and 10:30 AM. Receive a bracelet for free entry.
8. Check in with organizing teachers.
9. Adults Chaperone students as they participate in activities 10:00 - 11:30; attend program from 11:30-12:30.